Thursday, September 11, 2008

The..

Through the evening air, I hear a soft prayer from a woman,
Which pulls me to a score years behind now, and I see
A child sitting peacefully in his mother's lap, immersed in the voice of her simple prayers,
And she smiles as he smugly looks up at her.

That the hard-nosed philosopher now I am, worshipping logic and slighting "faith",
The mellow prayer makes me weep to return,
To the daily mornings at the old prayer stand, the mother's lap,
Her knowing, smiling faith, and the silence around us.

So it happens that the "wise" self can no longer spew cold fire,
As the warm, tender scent of childhood shrouds me,
Tears away my adult stench,until down on the floor I lie
And weep like a child for the days that past.

2 comments:

Akshaya Kamalnath said...

Wow...this is so true. I donno at what point I became a cynic but recently when I was terribly dejected I was so relieved to hear my mom say, 'Whatever happens happens for the good. Just move on with that assurance.'I might not believe in God but the faith and the innosence is too precious to lose.

Btw first time I'm here..nice blog u got:)

Highlander said...

Ah, thank you very much madam!!